Here is a fun way I recycled a cereal box to create some fun ramps for table tennis balls, matchbox cars and lots of other things to be rolled down.
- Cereal box
Mark the dots
- Orient the largest side of the cereal box such that the longest side is vertical.
- Mark a dot on the top left corner
- From the bottom left corner measure up the side and mark dots at 6cm, then another 5cm, then another 1cm, and then another 5cm.
- From the top right corner measure down the side and mark dots at 6cm, then another 1cm and then another 5cm.
- Mark a dot on the bottom right corner. From the bottom right corner measure up the side and mark a dot at 5cm.
- Check – you should now have 5 dots on each side.
Draw the lines
- Start from the top left side dot and draw a line to the top right side dot. (This will be referred to as the “first line”.)
- Joint the next left side dot to the next right side dot.
- Continue down box until you have drawn 5 lines.
- From the right-hand side of the second line measure along 2cm. Draw a vertical line down to the third line.
- From the left-hand side of the second line measure along 6 cm. Draw a vertical line down to the third line.
- From the left-hand side of the fourth line measure along 2 cm. Draw a vertical line down to the fifth line.
- From the right-hand side of the fourth line measure along 2 cm. Draw a vertical line down to the fifth line.
Draw lines for the flaps
- From the top left-hand side corner, draw a line away from first line your drew at right angles.
- On the right hand side, fold down the smaller side flap and draw a dot where it meets the top edge. Draw a line down to the first line you drew, at right angles to the first line you drew. Extend that same line across the flap.
- Measure the depth of the box for reference. (Most boxes are 8 or 9cm deep.)
- Measure along the line you just drew on the flap, from the first line you drew, and mark a dot at the distance equal to the depth of the box. Draw a line at right angles to the line towards the left.
Now do all of the instructions again for the other side, but swap the left-hand instructions to the right and vice-versa. You should end up with a mirror image on the other side.
Highlight and cut
- Highlight all of the vertical lines
- Highlight the lines which join the tops of the vertical lines.
- Highlight the lines drawn on the flaps.
- Cut along all of the highlighted lines.
Bonus – cardboard look
- If you don’t mind the look of the colourful cereal box you can leave it intact and fold the ramps inwards as below, otherwise you can turn the box inside out.
- To turn it inside out, carefully slide your scissors down the seam of the box.
- Fold the ramps along the marked lines which you did not highlight.
- (Hint: fold the cardboard against the ruler to get a straight fold)
- If you turned the box inside out fold back all existing folds of the box.
Tape it up
- If you turned the box inside out tape up the side and base of the box
- Fold down the top ramp flaps and fold the smaller side flap on top. Tape it together.
- Fold over the other top flaps, fold the smaller side flap on top. Tape it together.
- Fold the second ramp flaps down and tape them together in a V shape.
- Fold the third ramp flaps down and tape them together in a V shape. Tape the bottom end of the ramp to the bottom of the cereal box.
- And then you are done! Bring on the balls!