To the point
- Play music and dance!
- Dance to a variety of music – fast and slow
- Dance in a variety of styles – heavy/light, sharp/soft movements, use different levels and shapes
- Have fun with different movements – walking, running, marching, galloping, skipping, crawling, rolling, bending, stretching, twisting.
The long bit with all the background detail
Children become aware of how to use their bodies to dance. They explore space, time, dynamics and relationships as they make and observe dances. As an audience they learn to focus their attention on the performance and to respond at the end of the performance by expressing what they like and why.
- Space: level, direction, shape,
- Time: tempo, duration, phrasing, rhythmic patterns, stillness and beat
- Dynamics: heavy/light, sharp/soft movements
- Locomotor movements: walking, running, marching, galloping, skipping, crawling, rolling
- Non-locomotor movements: bending, stretching, twisting, turning, growing, melting to the ground