Becoming a parent is the probably the most amazing, overwhelming and life changing things you ever do.
Going home for the first time with your new baby
- Relish the moment and celebrate the milestone with a big smile
- Trust that you will be able to deal with what ever comes at you
- Know that you can call friends, family and professionals at any time
- If driving from somewhere like a hospital remember to put your baby’s seatbelt on.
The first 4 weeks – Survive!
- Tell your baby that you love them even when they scream in your face.
- Sleep whenever the baby sleeps
- Breastfeed or don’t. Do whatever works. Just make sure mum and baby stay physically and mentally happy.
- Learn how to swaddle!
- Do call friends, family and professionals at any time. Loads of people have done this before so ask for advice.
- Ask for food and help. People close to you will want to cook, clean and help any way they can. Let them.
The first 3 months
- Same as the first 4 weeks but with more sleep and sanity
- Take lots of photos. Write down your thoughts and treasured memories.
- Go out. It will be ok.
- Talk to other adults and socialise.
The first year
- Cuddles, Kisses, Smiles and Love
- Sing, Talk and Play.
- Watch them grow it will go fast.
- Have a great first birthday party. We all know that it is really for the parents to celebrate that they made it! Enjoy.